The ELizabethan Schoolroom
Elizabethan Stratford’s school was housed in the half-timbered guildhall. This building had been constructed by the medieval Guild of the Holy Cross over a hundred-and-fifty years before William Shakespeare was born.
In Shakespeare's time
The upper floor had become the schoolroom in 1553, when Stratford-upon-Avon's newly-formed town council took over these buildings. In Shakespeare's time around forty boys would have been taught in this room, ranging in age from seven to fourteen. Boys sat on wooden forms, or benches, arranged facing each other along either side of the room.
The Tudor curriculum was limited to the study of Latin, together with a little Greek and mathematics. At the end of each term, the older boys would have put on performances of dramas by the classical Roman and Greek authors. These buildings were also the venue for drama when Elizabethan travelling actors visited the town.
The present day
Today, the board above the master's desk at the end of the room lists the thirty-seven headmasters who have taught in this room over the past four-and-a-half centuries. The schoolroom, with its massive oak desks, continues to be used as a classroom by boys of Stratford's King Edward VI School.
This site uses frames which are not supported by the browser
you're using, so please use the GSA homepage to
view the site.